"The Willing Helpers' Missionary Society of the First Presbyterian Church of Johnstown was founded in December, 1883 by Mrs. Catherine D. Wells. On October, 1904, one hundred dollars was given to the Society in memory of Mrs. Wells, who had died the previous year. The members then decided to incorporate the society in memory of Mrs. Wells, to be known as the Willing Helpers' Home for Women, and to transfer the money to be used as the nucleus of a fund for building and maintaining a home for elderly women. This society was incorporated in 1905.
On May 22, 1907, Mr. & Mrs. Charles B. Knox presented to the Corporation the house and extensive grounds known as the Livingston Estate on West Madison Avenue. (The house had been built in 1852 at a cost of $11,000. and was in good repair.) Through this very generous gift, a "Home" was soon made possible for the elderly women of Fulton County. The fund which had already been raised by the liberal contributions of the people was used to enlarge and remodel the building. The "Home" was opened on November 24, 1908."